History: Highlights 1936-1946
1936: The Dillon Era
- Corporation election of John Jordan Dillon, O.P., as the 4th President of Providence College.
- Judy Garland visits campus, bringing a donation to the Building Fund.
- Glenn Miller and his orchestra perform at the PC Junior Promenade.
- Opening of Aquinas Hall, the first residence hall available to the general student population.
- Mal Brown, a beloved trainer and PC alumnus, dies of typhoid during an outbreak on campus. The Mal Brown Club, the local chapter of the Alumni Association, is organized in 1956.
- The National Catholic Honor Society establishes a chapter at PC.
- Due to WWII, PC inaugurates a year-round schedule.
- Activation of the Army Specialized Training Program Unit for Basic Engineering.
- Approximately 380-man Army Specialized Training Program Unit marches off campus.
1945: The Foley Era
- Corporation election of Frederick Clement Foley, O.P., as the 5th President of Providence College.
- Civilian resident students return to Aquinas Hall.
- Business Administration Department Building (later named Antoninus and Moore Hall) groundbreaking ceremony.
- Groundbreaking for Business Administration Department building.
- College resumes traditional Pre-War calendar.